5 minutes with … Gerard Basset OBE, Master Sommelier
We’re back with our regular series of Q&As being published with friends, clients and other ‘culture vultures’ that we admire to shine a light on their interests and lives.
This week, we hear from Master Sommelier, Gerard Basset OBE MW, who recently returned from judging the Best Show Tasting in Hong Kong 2017
- One place everyone should visit in their lifetime? (UK or international)? – Madeira Island, it is so beautiful and Madeira wines are magic. In the UK the New Forest of course
- If you weren’t a Sommelier you’d be I would have loved to be a footballer but regrettably I did not have the skills!
- What is one thing you always forget? – My head … but more seriously I normally I am quite good as I have an excellent memory but I have been known to forget some birthdays and felt so bad about it
- If you had to drink one wine, what would it be? – Romanée-Conti
- If you had to relocate for one year, where would you go? – Napa Valley California
- Everyone needs to pay more attention to the people sleeping rough on the street. They must have had such a difficult time in their life to have lost the will to fight back so they need great support!
- Name one book you wish you’d written A book on the history of the Chartreuse Liqueur. It is the most fascinating beverage and it has the most incredible story!
- Most recent theatre/cinema you attended? – The Revenant with Leonardo DiCaprio
- Favourite London location/ building/ landmark? – The Shell Mex House (The Art Deco Building with a clock behind the Needle)!
- What are you looking forward to this year? – I will be in Hong Kong for Decanter DAWA and I am much looking forward to see many friends who are wine professionals in Asia or Australia and New Zealand.