5 minutes with … Anthony Mauboussin, Director of Culinary Development at Viking Cruises
Anthony Mauboussin is Director of Culinary Development at Viking Cruises with overall responsibility for 1,150 galley staff across Viking Cruises’ iconic Ocean ships. Classically trained at the three Michelin star Waterside Inn at Bray, he had the opportunity to work in Michel Roux’s on board restaurants, which sparked his passion for working on ships and experiencing global cuisine. When not aboard a Viking cruise he lives in Chamonix and is a competitive distance runner in his spare time.During our time on the Viking World Cruise, sailing the Viking Sun through beautifully historic cities such as Sibenik, Rejika and Montenegro, we managed to grab a quite moment to find out what he loves in the cultural arena…
- One place everyone should visit? – Just one? There are too many from which to choose. I would definitely say north west Tronso – the Viking homelands. Also California.
- If you weren’t a chef, what would you be? – An athlete. I compete internationally in long distance races (he is sponsored by Viking). It’s challenging keeping up my fitness whilst on board, but I run every morning in the ship’s gym and also when we are in port. There are a lot of steps on a ship, which also helps my fitness.
- What’s the one thing you never forget? – My trainers. I run wherever I can and have had the opportunity to train in some extraordinary landscapes and locations thanks to my job.
- If you had to choose one food or drink to have for the rest of your life, what would it be? – I’m originally from Sancerre so it would have to be the region’s wine. I adore it and incorporate it into my cooking wherever I can.
- If you relocated for a year where would you go? – Always the mountains – Andorra, I think.
- What was the last film you saw? – The Pursuit of Happiness
- Everyone needs to pay more attention to…Detail
- Name a book you wish you’d written – Summit of my Life by Kilian Jornet
- What’s your favourite landmark? – Mont Blanc
- What are you looking forward to this year? – Personally I’m looking forward to completing my next long distance race in October. Professionally I’m excited about Viking’s new world cruise which starts in Miami and concludes in London taking in five continents over 141 days.